Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Dining Room Makeover
Warm color, classy drapes, refined mirror and comfortable furniture - this is all that it takes to create an oasis of luxury and comfort for diners. Though for some, the concept of dining room is a sheer waste of space, you will be surprised to know that a large number of people today are looking for homes that provide for a family dining space, as it is the eating time presents the only time when the whole family can sit together and strengthen the bond of love. As for those who already have a ‘boring’ dining space and are looking for ideas to give it a revamp, this article would definitely come handy. Giving a face lift to your dining room is easy, provided you preset the priorities for the look. Right from the traditional and formal setting to a modern glam-sham look, the choice is entirely yours. In the following lines, we have provided dining room makeover ideas, which would help you renovate the entire look of the dining space in your home sweet home.
Dining Room Makeover Ideas
Traditional Yet Formal Makeover
* For a more traditional and formal setting, style your dining room in a cream-color extravaganza.
* The cabinets for the traditional dining room should be of wood, with a mirror at the fascia. This would allow you to display the dishware, without being too loud.
* Depending upon the size of the room, get a glass topped table with a heavy base. While a round table is best advised, as it increases the scope for conversation, a rectangular one can also be opted for.
* Upholstered chairs serve as the best bet in such a dining room. They add a regal touch to the place, without making it look stifling.
* Play around the décor by laying a subtle shaded rug. This would add the much needed warmth to the place.
* Some intricate art pieces on the walls would surely enhance the beauty by miles, as would an exotic-looking and elaborate chandelier.
* Finish the look by placing a collection of antique china and cobalt stemware of muted shades.
Modern Yet Elegant Makeover
* For a contemporary setting, start with the flooring. You can either go for a wooden floor covering (to make it different, get a champagne-colored wood) or granite flooring, which radiates a spectacular shine.
* Let the paint on the wall do the talking as well. Remember, warm colors are exciting and stimulating. However, to add that glam quotient, get one of the walls painted in a bright color. Having a textured or patterned wall covering would also serve as a good option.
* The dining table should be a glass topped one, with a sleek yet stylish base. As for the chairs, make sure they are of a different style and not the usual heavy wooden ones.
* Do not restrict the seating arrangement to just chairs. Add a few ottomans around the dining space to add to the luxury and sumptuousness of the room.
* As for the dishware, go for ones that exude a contemporary look. Those with geometrical designs would be the perfect option to pick.
* Floating candles and scented votives would make great centerpieces. You can even go for exotic white lilies. Whatever you chose, make sure that the centerpiece is not too big; else it would restrict conversation.
* In case the dining room has windows that offer a visual treat of city lights, place the table in such a way that it is situated near the window. The city lights would add a charming factor to the whole room.
* Complete the look of the contemporary-styled dining room with a classy and tasteful chandelier and some ceiling lights.
While decorating your dining room be very careful about the furniture that you choose. Think of various aspects like the number of members in your family, the number and age of children or even the frequency of guests you invite over for dinner. In case you have young kids around make sure to have a dining set that is not too delicate, is scratch proof, sturdy enough to bear all the antics of your young ones. Also make sure it doesn’t have too sharp edges, which can be dangerous for children while prancing around. Even if you do not have too many members in the family, have a dining table and sufficient number of chairs to seat a minimum of 4-6 people.
Dining room furniture primarily consists of dining table and the chairs. The dining table should be according to the size of your dining area. A table that is too big or too small for your dining room will spoil the ambiance of the dining area. Glass top tables, or whole wood dining tables can be great idea. Wrought iron tables with sleek glass tops are particularly in vogue. Antique or classic vintage dining room furniture can also be a great idea for your dining room. Oriental or Japanese furniture styles also offer a wide range of unique dining room furniture that will help you make your dining room extra special and classy.
Many people like to build their dining rooms around a unique theme. You can set a theme for your dining room and buy the dining room furniture accordingly. For example you can have an antique theme and buy antique furniture for your dining room and add some fine touches like antique lamps and antique chandeliers to make it look more authentic. If you’ve ever seen a home-improvement reality show called Monster House you would have an idea about the most innovative themes people can come up with while decorating and re-modeling their homes. I can never forget the episode where a particular family had set a Viking theme for their home and had a Viking headgear as the mantelpiece in the dining area complete with Viking style dinner plates and cauldrons.
In addition to the dining table and the chairs, you can also have stylish storage cabinets to store your cutlery sets and to display the beautiful ones. Such cabinets score high on aesthetics as well as functionality. However avoid choosing cabinets or storage units that are too bulky and occupy too much space. Always remember that too much of furniture makes any room cluttered. Especially when it comes to your dining room, you want it to be pleasant and inviting. Try and keep the furniture to the basic minimum.
Decorate your dining room with beautiful paintings or mantelpieces that enhance the ambiance of the room. Many people also love to have family photographs and family heirlooms to remember happy memories while having dinner. Make sure not to over-decorate your dining area and design it in a clutter-free way making it look spacious, clean and inviting. Dinners are all about wholesome meals shared with the people you love, so keep the dining room clean and big enough for mouth watering meals and ripples of endless laughter…
Feng Shui Dining Room
Dining room is one area that can ideally be known for spending family time, as it brings all the members family together to spend some jovial moments. Even in earlier times, sitting together over the morning breakfast, lunch, evening tea times and dinner was considered a way to connect with family members and friends. However, with lack of time and high demands of job, there are slim choices left with people to dine together, leave apart spending time with each other. It is believed that if a family is not able to dine together, it is missing an important aspect of togetherness in life. This time strengthens family bonds through nourishment and communication and opens doors to physical, mental and spiritual peace. If the dining room is designed as per Feng Shui, it further adds to the family bond. Read on to discover some tips on how to design your dining room as per Feng Shui, in turn contributing to the health and good relations of the family members.
Feng Shui Tips For Your Dining Room
Choose a location that is peaceful and away from the main door, so that the family can sit and enjoy its meal without getting bothered by other distractions. If you cannot change the location, hang curtains to block the view of doors or windows. Choose soothing colors for the curtain or wall, but avoid blue color, as it is often considered to be cold and also gives an unappealing look to the food.
Another important aspect is the shape of the table. Feng shui gives you choice to select any shape of the table be it round, square or oval. It, however, warns against the table shapes that have missing corners, except octagons, which are considered auspicious and can be used in the dining arena. Rectangular table, if not too long, also goes well with Feng Shui.
Hanging chandeliers over the dining table will not only give your dining room a soft and glamorized look, but will also improve the mood and chi (energy) at the table. In addition, it will lay the focus on the food and avoid distractions. Using mirrors in the decoration can double the effect of lighting in the room.
Since dining room is meant for a family to eat together, with the focus on food and table, avoid any visual clutters in the room. Use a tablecloth, instead of individual tablemats, to bring togetherness in the family. Choosing carpets and curtains that blend well with the theme and focus of your dining area will add to its exquisiteness. Don’t display sad art in the room.
A picture frame depicting happy family or flower pot will add to the enjoyment of the family dinner. It is strictly advised by Feng Shui to avoid keeping the picture of a lost family member or pets in the room. The picture of a lost family member contributes to the bad health, while animals eat your food symbolically.
Pay attention to the color of the crockery, as it can have several effects on the mood and health. For instance, white color is known to lessen appetite and is quite good for people who seek to lose weight. Avoid colors, like red and blue, as they seem to draw negative energies and increase appetite. The color theme for the rest of the room, including walls and curtains, should be selected as per the compass direction where the dining room is located. Take help of the trigram subject area, to find the specific colors that go well with specific direction.